Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Knowledge


Knowledge

I step into the horse drawn carriage
Ready to take me on my way
Completing my final year of school
I day dream about school past 8th grade

All of the things I could learn
Separating me from my family
It is impossible to be different
While living among my people

I feel my heart catch
Knowing the pain of leaving them
Would slice through my heart
The price I would have to pay
To have new experiences

The carriage stops in front of my sanctuary
The one room school we all share
I step out gracefully
Smoothing down my plain black dress
I feel the same caged texture I do every day

I feel the wind blow
Loosening my bonnet
Giving me the desire to take it off
Letting the wind whip through my hair

Instead I tighten it,
Securing the white material to my head
I enter the room lit by candles
Electricity does not exist for me
That world seems so far away

I take my seat
Enjoying this luxury while it lasts
Knowing once I complete this year
I will not see the inside of a school again

© Christie Cote
February 27, 2011

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates